African americans in yonkers
Community Centers As time went by more community centers aside from Fraternities, churches and masonries began to form. Of these, Nepperhan Community Center was founded in the late 1930's. The center became a meeting place for recreational activities and classes for children. There first location was at 13 Monroe Street and later at 57 Tuckahoe Road. In 1942 it became the Nepperhan Community Center Inc. and moved into 117 Palisades Avenue. In this new location as a corporation they were able to provide the African American community with many more activities and events. The activities included cooking, basketball, sewing, and social dances. Scholarships were also provided to students through the community center. Unfortunately this community center however was only working on a part-time basis and eventually was forced by the City of Yonkers into the Community Baptist Church. In the late 1960’s they were able to move to its permanent location on Warburton Avenue. In this new location it undertook new programs and activities in relation to education, tutoring, remedial reading, math and parental involvement programs. Their current mission is “to provide a safe nurturing environment where children of all ages are equipped with necessary life skills, and their educational, social, spiritual, and emotional needs are addressed through interactive activities such as academic enrichment, sports, cultural arts, and workshops focusing on building self esteem, self-confidence, conflict resolution, and team building, while learning to value and appreciate cultural diversity.”
 Nepperhan Community Center , Last modified 2011. Accessed May 6, 2012. http://www.nepperhancc.com/.